Tension in left arm

Currently I am working on a wonderful Recercare by Francesco Spinacino and it's simultaneously awesome and super challenging. Which I love! <3

It really enables me to work on both technique and also feeling the music. I can lose myself deep in this piece and, because it's technically tricky, I can work on producing music regardless of the mechanics of the playing. It's like someone once told me (I forget the source), that if you understand that when performing music it's more about the music and less about the notes, you can free yourself. Technique is just a building block to help convey the music, so if you get hung up on the technique, you lose the music. The music is more about life and therefore like life, has a soul of its own. The steps you take in life, of course have to be sure and stable, but if you wobble on the occasional step, it doesn't take away from the vibrancy of the entire experience. So it is my understanding of playing music. Or more accurately, *performing* music (which can be a bit nerve-wracking and therefore can have an adverse influence on the technique!). So focus on the sound. Be in the music. No forcing is necessary.

I seem to have lost my focus in this post... Whilst playing the Recercare, my left forearm tenses during the faster pieces towards the end of the piece. My interpretation is that I'm putting too much 'effort' into the left arm technique. Perhaps fretting (pun) too hard (see previous post)?

Here's that lovely piece...

Comments

Popular Posts