Learning often has its ups and downs

Today was another day of precautionary self-isolation caused by Coronavirus. Fortunately I stuck to routine and imposed breaks for myself and my family which even included a walk outside (it was lovely weather).

I even structured in some lute practice tonight. I don't know whether it was the fact it was timetabled in or the fact I was feeling a bit irritated but it was a tough session. The warm up and scales went well but when I played my pieces I made lots of mistakes. Frame of mind is important it seems, and my mind was elsewhere, other than right there with the music. So I just practiced some technical aspects (like being mindful of wandering fingers), fingered some awkward passages and called it a night.

When chatting to someone later about this, she simply replied, "It's normal. Learning often has its ups and downs."

Wise words.


Comments

  1. For this reason I would like to suggest to concentrate mainly on pieces you know already. There's no harm in going over them again. You are more advanced now and you will have better insights. I'll be sending you a list with possible pieces later on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts