Love in the Time of Coronavirus

Facing six weeks of home working and fitting this around being a good dad and helping the kids organise their days seems daunting. The spread of coronavirus disease means we have to rethink the way we live and work, and that means lute lessons too.

My teacher and mentor came up with a smashing idea: remote lessons, but this doesn't mean lessons by skype... It's more of a correspondence course. Essays, lute book recommendations, problems being encountered on fingering, discussion about the scores we are currently playing and so on. Of course we'll also send little videos of our songs so we can be guided, but the quality of the music won't be the same by video as in real life.

First dip into the magic of lute music and I come to a question I pose myself often: what is renaissance music? This can be easily answered by a simple definition (or is it more complex? I've certainly seen several sources quoting renaissance dates which vary a lot. Maybe food for another post at a later date). Safe to say the renaissance period was a bridge between the Middle Ages and The Baroque period. Let's work with that as a starting point until the follow-up post :)

It's often been of some embarrassment to me that, when asked by others who were the most prominent composers of lute music, I'm at a loss to answer. That's why I've drawn a graphic situating the different ages of music and some of the composers who are of interest to me currently (see below).

Renaissance composers

There's already a pretty good timeline of composers with links to their pages here on wikipedia. I am also interested in compiling my own as I learn of other composers.

There is also, however, a second part o-to the question, 'what is renaissance music?' and that is, what makes it so? What are the musical elements that define this period? What emotions were prevalent and how did society, politics and religion have an impact on the expression of music in this time? Although this coronavirus is a terrible thing, I'm finding that it also brings an opportunity to stay home, cocoon, be with loved ones and learn more. Keep calm, carry on and learn the lute.
......
For more details of the Jette lute class in Brussels:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LuteLovelies

Comments

Popular Posts